The Public Service Alliance of Canada (PSAC) represents more than 200,000 workers in every province and territory in Canada and in locations around the world.
In the past fifteen years, 40,000 workers have chosen to join PSAC, many of them from the Academic Sector. University Locals first joined PSAC in 1996 and since then the Academic Sector has grown to represent more than 26,000 members in Ontario, the National Capital Region, Quebec, the Atlantic, and the Prairies.
PSAC members also work for museums, arts and granting agencies, healthcare and community services agencies, Indigenous communities, municipal and public sector and more.
Our members in the Academic Sector are in many employment groups, including:
- Teaching Assistants and Graduate Assistants
- Research Assistants
- Research Associates
- Sessional Instructors
- Teaching Fellows
- Non-academic administrative and technical professionals
- Postdoctoral Fellows
- Exam Invigilators,
- Floor-Fellows, Peer Counselors, and more.
Most recently, PSAC welcomed 400 Teaching Assistants at Wilfrid Laurier University, who won representation in the fall of 2019.
PSAC VICTORIES – Recent Breakthroughs in the Academic Sector:
- Childcare benefit of $2,000/child annually at Queen’s University
- Annually increasing professional development fund at Carleton University
- Paid sick leave at Dalhousie University
- Employer paid Care Fund at with subsidies for childcare, family care, vision care at Memorial University
- Salary top ups to 100% for 26 weeks of parental leave at Dalhousie University
- Protection from unduly short appointments at University of Saskatchewan
- Whistle blower protections at Queen’s University
- Protection of Intellectual Property rights at Queen’s university, University of Saskatchewan, and University of Winnipeg
- Stronger protection from Discrimination and Harassment and stronger commitments to equity at Memorial University, UOIT, University of Saskatchewan, Carleton University, and Université Laval
- PSAC DCL 901 – Queen’s University – http://psac901.org
- PSAC DCL 610 – Western University – www.psac610.ca
- PSAC DCL 555 – University of Ontario Institute of Technology – www.psac555.ca